Chocolate chip, peanut butter, chocolate covered pretzel cupcakes are obviously not a diet food. However I'm pretty sure by now you've realised that this blog is not the place to come for healthy eating advice. I personally have been known to eat raspberry Nutella sandwiches for breakfast, and drink wine for dinner from time to time (umm, I don’t know why you're judging... I just listed two fruits - raspberries and grapes!) I can only speak for myself here (although I do know that Jo has a pretty big soft spot for pistachio nougat and CC sugar cookies.)
So we all indulge from time to time. I think it's an important part of life. I actually really love learning what different people love to eat for a treat. My boyfriend goes wild for homemade doughnuts and is always dropping hints about me bringing some home from work for him, while one of my best friends loves almond croissants. One of my favourite teats in putting a handful of M&M’s in my pocket when I'm working a really long day at the wine cellar and nibbling on them when I get a chance (one time this ended really badly when I realised my pocket was also full of lint from the washing machine!)
This is the sort of treat everyone goes pretty wild for. It has all the good elements of salty, sweet, chocolate and peanut butter. Really what more could you need? I like it because it satisfies almost everyone’s sweet tooth.
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Coated Pretzels
Chocolate Coated Pretzels
- 12 pretzels
- 100g dark chocolate
- Baking paper
- Melt dark chocolate (slowly in a microwave, or in a bowl over simmering water).
- Lay out a piece of baking paper on a bench.
- Dip half of each pretzel into the chocolate and shake off any excess.
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of oil
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 ¼ cup of self raising flour
- 200g chocolate chips
- With a KitchenAid or electric beaters, whisk together sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Slowly pour in oil and continue to whisk.
- Add half the flour, then half the milk, the remaining flour, and then the remaining milk while mixing.
- Mix through chocolate chips.
- Fill patty pans 2/3 full with the mix and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for twenty minutes or until golden on top and cooked through.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups of caster sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- 400g butter
- 2 tbs of peanut butter
- Place sugar and water in a small pot and begin to boil.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and using a KitchenAid or electric beaters, beat until light and fluffy.
- Once the sugar mix reaches 117 degrees (or soft ball stage) on a sugar thermometer, pour into the whisking egg whites and beat on high speed.
- When mix has begun to cool (the bowl doesn’t feel hot to touch) slowly add pieces of the butter. Let whisk until thick and glossy and smooth.
- Add peanut butter
- Using a star nozzle on a piping bag, frost cooled cupcakes.
- Place a pretzel on top of each frosted cupcake.